|Request for Proposals 2017|
CALL FOR PRESENTATIONS
37th Annual WSRA Conference & Trade Show
The organizers of the 2017 Washington State Recycling Association’s Conference & Trade Show invite proposals for presentations.
About the Conference
The WSRA Conference and Trade Show is a showcase for the latest recycling, re-use, and waste reduction programs and technology and brings together over 300 industry leaders to learn, connect, inspire, and be inspired. We are now accepting proposals for breakout session presenters. WSRA’s conference provides stakeholders in Washington’s recycling and waste prevention community with the knowledge and resources to address current challenges in the recycling industry, implement and improve recycling programs, advocate for policies and initiatives that advance recycling and waste prevention, and support the development of a generation of professionals for whom sustainability is a core tenet of their work and life philosophy.
Breakout Session Specifics
Locations: Breakout rooms at the Red Lion Pasco
Proposals for presentations are due by 5:00 p.m. on Wednesday, October 12
· Compost and Recycling Stream Contamination
· Reuse and Repair
· Textile Recycling
· Food Waste and Recovery
· Business Recycling
· Recycling and Resource Conservation
· How WA compares nationally and globally
· International and Diverse Perspectives
· Facility and system operations
· Industry Challenges and Barriers
Breakout sessions should:
· Describe innovations or ideas related to influencing people to increase recycling efforts
· Focus on a single key insight. The goal is to share that “ah-ha!” moment.
· Highlight tangible results. Use real-world examples. Provide a take-away solution that could be applied by other attendees.
· Think outside the box! Be captivating and engaging for the audience. We want presenters to think about TED/TEDx style talks. They should be entertaining as well as informative. We are not looking for the standard conference presentations.
· Compelling visuals are highly encouraged. Multi-media presentations are great and are subject to the technology limitations of the venue.
Breakout sessions should not:
· Present detailed case studies.
· Describe ongoing activities.
· Promote a business, organization, product or service.
· Use a lot of PowerPoint slides with heavy text.
If you can craft an hour-long session that will actively engage participants, deliver a solid message about a key issue facing the industry, and send attendees away with identifiable lessons learned, then we invite you to submit your proposal!
Proposals will be evaluated based on their overall alignment with this year’s conference theme and vision. In addition, proposals will be evaluated according to the following criteria:
· Does the proposal include tactical and relevant information for an hour-long presentation to an audience of recycling and solid waste industry professionals?
· Are there ample opportunities for discussion and interactivity among participants?
· Are the presenters knowledgeable in the topic area?
· Does the workshop represent a diverse experience, point of view, or somehow draw on the perspective of communities not represented in other workshops?
· Will the presentation deliver tangible learning takeaways to participants in a fun and engaging format?
· Does the presenter avoid self-promotion, negatively portraying specific members of the industry, and selling of products?
Presenter Benefits and Responsibilities
· $100 discount on full conference registration OR free admission to the conference (including lunch only) on the day of your session
· WSRA is not responsible for speaker travel and accommodation costs.
· If a confirmed presenter is unable to attend the conference, they are responsible for notifying the WSRA office at the earliest opportunity and for finding a replacement with similar skills and qualifications.
Contact Anne Piacentino at email@example.com or call (206) 244-0311.