We understand that being a new member of an organization, or attending a conference for the first time, can be a daunting experience. That’s why we provide a variety of opportunities and programs that can help you survive — and thrive! — at WSRA 2015 and beyond.
Whether you’re a first-time attendee, a student or new professional, or a new member of WSRA, here are some tips for navigating WSRA 2015 from our Networking & Fun Committee.
- Review the conference attendee list beforehand and highlight individuals you want to meet.
- Take advantage of as many social events as you can! The tours and receptions offer an opportunity to strike up a conversation with a peer, future co-worker, or colleague in a more relaxed setting.
- Attend an event or session that’s outside your comfort zone. The natural inclination is to hang tight to what one knows or is familiar with, but the moments to have a genuine conversation with someone often arise in different settings. These can come in the form of a social gathering or a discussion following a session.
- Spend time getting to know exhibitors and learning about their businesses. It could lead to new partnerships, clients, and job opportunities.
Planning Your Schedule
- Refrain from cramming your schedule full. The opportunity will present itself to do something every second, but because there’s so much to do, it’s easy to get worn out. Feel free to leave thirty minutes here and there unscheduled just to catch your breath.
- Familiarize yourself with the schedule before you arrive, but don’t get too caught up in your plans. Sometimes the best conference experience includes making decisions on the fly!
What to Bring
- Reuseables! Water bottle, coffee mug, tote bag, etc.
- Business cards
- For most of the conference, we suggest business casual attire
- Semi-formal attire for Tuesday evening Awards Gala Banquet
- Walking shoes and attire for tours and excursions
- Cash or credit card for beverages/food (Sunday lunch, Monday dinner, after-hours), and silent & live auction items