SWANA Executive Director and CEO to Retire
Tuesday, December 23, 2014
Silver Spring, Maryland — On Monday, December 15, 2014, John H. Skinner, Ph.D. announced his retirement as SWANA’s Executive Director (ED) and Chief Executive Officer (CEO), effective April 30, 2015.
“I have truly enjoyed working with SWANA’s members and staff throughout the years and believe we have taken the association to new heights together,” said Skinner. “I am stepping down from SWANA to focus my future activities on efforts to advance solid waste programs internationally.”
Skinner joined SWANA as CEO in 1996, following a career at U.S. EPA and the United Nations Environment Programme.
“John has been a great asset to SWANA and will continue to lead the organization well through his retirement date,” said SWANA President Brian Tippetts. “Under his leadership, SWANA has grown in both number and stature and we thank him for his service and dedication for the past 18 years.”
Tippetts cited several examples of SWANA’s accomplishments under Skinner’s leadership, including:
- The highest membership level in the history of the association – 8,300 members and growing
- Members in every state of the US, every province of Canada and a Caribbean Chapter
- A strong balance sheet and excellent financial reserves
- A wide range of educational offerings ranging from classroom to on-line programs -- SWANA is the premier education provider in this industry
- A proactive advocacy program, which is influencing national policy
- SWANA’s Applied Research Program, which provides valuable studies for SWANA members, and industry professionals everywhere
“My hat is off to John and I thank him for his service and dedication,” Tippetts said.
Tippetts said SWANA will seek an experienced leader and manager with a background in the solid waste industry and the ability to build and grow working relationships for the association and the industry. The new ED/CEO will also take a lead in implementing SWANA’s new strategic plan, which is nearing completion.
Questions concerning SWANA's executive search should be directed to SWANA's General Counsel Barry Shanoff at Shanoff@knopf-brown.com.
The Solid Waste Association of North America (SWANA)is a professional association with the mission of promoting environmentally and economically sound management of municipal solid waste in North America and serves over 8,000 members from both the public and private sectors. For more than 50 years, SWANA has been the leading association in the solid waste management field. SWANA serves industry professionals with technical conferences, certifications, publications and a large offering of technical training courses. For more information, visitwww.SWANA.org.