2014 Waste Management Recycle Corps Internship Program Accepting Applications
Wednesday, February 12, 2014
Posted by: Lindsay Kittleson
2014 Waste Management Recycle Corps
College Internship Program Accepting
The WM Recycle Corps collegiate intern program is designed for mature, responsible and outgoing college students interested in a hands-on job training experience in the field of recycling education and outreach.
This intensive eleven-week internship will teach twelve college students the latest strategies in effectively engaging the public and businesses in waste reduction and recycling behavior change. The program is designed to provide students hands-on experience in the field as recycling educators.
WM Recycle Corps interns represent the company in various public venues, working in partnership with the WM Public Sector Services (PSS) team and local governments on a variety of outreach projects. These projects include assisting with on-the-ground recycling education campaigns for businesses and multifamily communities, staffing the WM Recycling Information Station at community festivals and assisting with special projects, as assigned.
The Recycle Corps program is managed by the WM Public Education and Outreach team. WM staff train, supervise and mentor the intern team throughout the duration of the program. To ensure the safety of all participants, as well as to build teamwork and collaboration skills, all fieldwork is done in teams of two or more.
The 2014 Recycle Corps interns will be selected in May, and the program will begin on June 16, 2014. The eleven-week internship kicks off with a 5-day, 40-hour training, featuring industry experts, role play workshops and well-rounded exposure to many facets of the recycling and composting industry.
- Represent WM at public functions, community events, businesses and multifamily residents and property managers
- Work with businesses, property managers and the public, one-on-one, to provide information and resources that promote recycling, composting and waste reduction
- Educate the general public by answering questions about WM recycling and composting programs and services
- Participate in community events during evenings and on the weekends
- Collaborate with WM and municipal staff on community outreach projects
- Work well with a variety of people in diverse settings
- Willing and able to learn the materials management business and then share that knowledge with the public
- Able to manage time and track multiple projects simultaneously with attention to detail
- Able to be flexible and adapt to various situations while remaining positive
- Able to follow all company policies, especially those relating to safety
- Must be available to participate in the internship from start to finish: 6/16 - 8/29
- Must be enrolled as a college student in the fall of 2014
- Must have a cell phone and access to a personal computer and email
- Must possess an insured and reliable vehicle, and be able to travel to and from Kirkland/Woodinville, and Kirkland/Woodinville to locations throughout King, Snohomish, and Skagit counties
- Able to transport outreach materials and equipment (tables, storage totes, chairs, 10’x10’ tent, etc.)
- Capable of lifting 35 pounds
- Able to stand for a full 8-hour shift
- Proficiency in all Microsoft Suite Office products including Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Able to effectively communicate with designated WM staff on a regular basis
- Self-starter and motivated to inspire change
- Able to work independently with assigned team members, once direction is given
- Is positive and confident
- Is able to communicate clearly both on the phone and in person
- Fluency in a second language is a benefit, but not required
- Must be eligible to work in the U.S. on a full-time, permanent basis
- This is a paid internship, full-time (40 hours/week)
- Eligible candidates must be able to start Monday, June 16, 2014
- Internship hours are Tuesday - Saturday from June 16th - August 29th
- Most shifts start at 8:00 am, but there are times throughout the program with swing (11 am – 7 pm) or evening shifts (3 pm - 11 pm)
- There will be six Sunday shifts available for interns who would like overtime
- WM Recycle Corps Headquarters is located in Woodinville, WA
Application deadline is April 18, 2014
To apply, visit WM Careers
and search for Job Requisition #199341.