Homemade Trade Events Coming to Federal Way
Imagine a cashless exchange of your homemade and homegrown items for someone else's. The City of Federal Way is hosting its final of a series of trade/barter events starting on Sunday, March 15, 1-3 PM, at City Hall, 33325 8th Ave S, Federal Way.
Common items to bring to events include baked goods, homegrown produce/herbs, plants/seeds, jams/jellies, jewelry, soap, honey, eggs, knitted items, artwork or anything homemade. Residents can bring as little or as much as they want, or just come watch.
• This is a great event for "shopping" for unique Christmas gifts. It is like a holiday bazaar, but you trade your own crafts instead of paying money.
• Bring any homemade crafts or items that you would be willing to trade. You can bring as little or as much as you want. You are encouraged to bring items of a variety of "values" to make trading easier.
• You can bring anything homemade or homegrown -- as long as it is legal. Your creativity is the limit! At past events, residents have brought homemade bread, brownies, jam, pickles, plants, herbs, jewelry, pillows, hot pad holders, knitted scarves, stuffed animals, artwork, candles, greeting cards, fishing flies, wooden spoons, key chains, buttons, magnets and more. You can even make trades outside the event if you feel comfortable, like trading a hair cut for fruit tree pruning.
• Each person sets out their items at 1 PM, then walks around to meet people and look at what everyone else brought. When trading starts at 1:30 PM, negotiate a fair exchange with other people. You don’t have to take every offer.
• All ages are welcome, so get your kids/grand kids involved.
• The City will provide the space, tables, chairs, event facilitation and some promotions. These events are for the community, by the community, so please attend and invite others to keep them going.
• Remember, no cash will be exchanged! This is just a way for you to meet other creative people in your community and trade for eco-friendly homemade goods.
Bartering is easy; just ask just ask someone to trade what you have for something they have. For example, you could ask someone to trade your loaf of homemade bread for their jar of pickles. You determine the value of your items and can discuss and negotiate so it is fair. You don’t have to take every offer.
Set up is at 1 PM, followed by time to browse items and meeting people. Trading begins at 2 PM and people can leave when finished. The City will provide the tables, chairs and facilitation.
For more information about the homemade trade events, or to post what you will be bringing or wanting, please visit www.facebook.com/HomemadeTradeFW.
Future 2015 trade events are scheduled for June 28, October 25 and December 6. All events will be held 1-3 PM, at City Hall, 33325 8th Ave S, Federal Way.
Hope to see you there!