The 2014 Pacific Northwest Chapter Conference is set for August 15-17!
Lodging and conference will take place at the Adobe Resort in Yachats, Oregon. We expect this year to be an awesome event, given a pretty spectacular location! Located just around the corner from the Cape Perpetua Marine Reserve, Yachats offers plenty of nearby surfing opportunities, marine gardens to explore and one of the most beautiful old growth forest hikes on the planet. It’s truly a special place.
Surfrider Foundation will cover the cost of chapter rooms and meals for Friday night BBQ, Saturday and Sunday breakfasts and Saturday’s lunch! Some field trips may require a small fee, depending on how many individuals sign up and those are optional (more info. on registration page). Rooms will be shared and a limited number of rooms are available for each chapter. For questions regarding rooming, contact email@example.com.
The deadline for registering is August 1, 2014. REGISTER NOW
The full agenda will be updated to this page soon. Below is a list of currently scheduled speakers, topics and field trip options.
Topics / Speakers
- Volunteer Recruitment and Retention | Sarah Adams, San Diego Chapter and Volunteer Manager of Voices for Children, Beth Hawkyard, Newport Chapter and Volunteer Manager for the Oregon Coast Aquarium
- What Invasive Species Have to Do With Beach Cleanups | Dr. John Chapman, Dept. of Fisheries and Wildlife, Oregon State University
- Chapter Advisory Council | Tara Brock, PNW Regional Council Representative, Ed Mazzarella, Director of Chapters Blue Water Task Force |Eleanor Hines, Northwest Straits Chapter, Charlie Plybon, Oregon Field Manager
- Membership and Fundraising Elements | Nancy Eiring – Surfrider Director of Membership,
- Running Effective Chapters: Meetings & Structure | Tara Brock – Portland Chapter, Vancouver Chapter
- Chapter Fundraising: Events & Partnerships | Vancouver Island Chapter, Portland Chapter
- Oregon Marine Reserves | Gus Gates – Oregon Policy Manager
- Washington Marine Spatial Planning | Casey Dennehy, Washington Coast Program Manager
- A Rising Tide: Climate Change Issues & Surfrider | Various Environmental Staff
- Executive Resources and Challenges – Training and Group Discussion | Brice Boland Washington Field Manager, Charlie Plybon Oregon Field Manager
Activities / Field Trips
- Friday 3-6pm - Marine Reserve Field Trip | Paul Englemeyer, Audubon Society and Gus Gates, Surfrider will lead this awesome adventure from coastal rainforest down to the Cape Perpetua Marine Reserve (free)
- Friday 7pm - BBQ and Social – Adobe Resort | Sponsored by Ninkasi (free)
- Sunday Time TBA - Optional Marine Garden Tidepooling Field Trip; a fee for this trip applies.
About/Who Should Attend
Chapter Conferences are annual gatherings of Surfriders, held to offer networking, training, sharing, learning, and merry-making opportunities. Invitations are extended from HQ to Chapter leaders each year, and chapter members coordinate through their Executive Committee’s which volunteers should attend. The hope is that attending activists will bring back new skills & fresh ideas to their Chapters. Many chapters will actually be presenting at the conference, sharing their ideas and organizational best practices.